Bat & Ball
Bat & Ball station was the original Sevenoaks station, built as part of the branch line from Swanley to Sevenoaks. Later this became known as the London, Chatham & Dover Railway. The railway specialist Thomas Crampton was awarded the contract and opened the line by 1862. An official visit to Knole (in Sevenoaks) in 1866 resulted in the Prince (later Edward VII) and Princess of Wales travelling through Bat & Ball, with Queen Victoria also visiting in 1867.
Industries in the area included brickmaking, quarrying (still active today), light engineering, a large gas works (only recently demolished), printing and publishing, all of which brought new employees into the area. Building homes for commuters became a major industry in its own right and by 1901 the population of Sevenoaks had doubled. Schools were expanded or built to educate the children of all these new people, including Sevenoaks School – which took in boarders – and Walthamstow Hall School for Girls, relocated from north London 20 years after the railway arrived.